22 August 2011

Featured Artist - The Cat's Pajamas

I was stumbled across Lesley's shop, The Cat's Pajamas, in the etsy forums. The fact that she lives here in Hamilton is the bee's knees! I love finding great local shops!

Lesley creates with polymer clay, and I've got to tell you, they are the cutest I've ever seen (no offense to any other polymer clay artists out there). Lesley makes cake toppers (many of them for wedding cakes), and Christmas ornaments.


I contacted Lesley, in hopes that she would answer a few questions for you. She was so quick in responding, and such a sweet woman too! Here's our interview:


1. What made you decide to start this creative business?

It all started in November of 2009, when I realized (last minute, of course) that I needed a cake topper of my very own. I was getting married, and wanted to find a unique cake topper to adorn my super scrumptious cupcake tree. Unable to find a topper that suited my fancy, I took on the challenge of making my very own. I had so much fun working with polymer clay, so I took my work “to the streets” and the rest is history.

2. What does a creative day look like for you?

Creative moments move sporadically in and out of my daily routine. When I’m not working my day job, hanging out at my mother’s pool (I can’t resist), or spending time with the pets (husband included), you can find me in the office sketching out new designs, or crafting orders. Being creative is both an enjoyable and relaxing process for me, so I fit it into as many open moments throughout the day as I possibly can.

3. What inspires you to create?

An easier question to answer would be what doesn’t inspire me to create! Pets, food, music, people – everything feeds into and contributes to my creative process. 

4. What goals do you have for your business?

I love where my business is right now on Etsy, but I am starting to dabble into other channels of exposure, such as showcasing my work at local festivals, or partnering up with some local vendors. It’s all in the works! Eventually, I would love to be my own boss, and live exclusively off of the work I create. 

5. List 5 random things about you.

1. A recent addition to my family is a Bull/English Mastiff – Linus. He likes apples, and told me yesterday that I’m his best friend. My husband is jealous.


2. When there is a Spelling Bee Competition on television, I cannot look away. I am glued to that box until the very end.


3. My favourite animal is the giraffe. I seriously believe that this animal is the strangest looking animal to walk our planet. Yes folks, stranger than the platypus.


4. I hate oranges, but love orange chocolate.


5. I have a comfort book: Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Read it - it’s hilarious.


Here are a few of my favourites from The Cat's Pajamas:




I think the peas in a pod cake toppers are SO adorable, and if I were ever to get married again, I would get those!

Trees Hide

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I really enjoy reading feedback and comments from my readers!