14 October 2011

A Sort-of Hiatus

Well, not really. I didn't make a whole lot this week. I bound about 4 books, which isn't a whole lot for a week. I did make a new closure, which is pictured below: a braided cotton twine. I think it looks pretty cool.


I've also been working on a leather book cover. I've made my first draft, and now I'm reviewing it and deciding on what I want to change. It's hand-stitched, and the one I made can fit a 4.5 x 6 book in it. I will do other sizes later, but I'm working with that size for now. I think that if I get to a point where I am satisfied enough with them to sell them, I will sell the pages separately as well - like a refillable journal or planner!


I don't know what the closure will be yet; I am currently thinking a magnetic button. Or maybe a snap button. I really haven't decided yet.


So far, the refillable pages will be a coptic stitch book with thick cardboard as the covers that go into the pocket of the leather. This picture is my first attempt at a coptic stitch. Pretty poor, I know, but I'm working on it!


So what do you think? Do you like the braided cotton twine closure in the first picture? And what do you think about the book cover?

I have started to make more owls for the punch art pictures I want to sell at upcoming shows - they will not be sold online. These owls are so time consuming, though! All the tiny pieces to punch and glue together... but I do enjoy it.

Trees Hide

2 comments:

  1. Coptic stitches look fine to me ;-)! I love the book cover - it seems very luxurious.

    Empty On the Inside
    Dough, Dirt & Dye

    ReplyDelete
  2. The braided twine looks good. Would you ever use elastic, similar to Moleskines? The book cover looks great! I think you should go with the magnetic closure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I really enjoy reading feedback and comments from my readers!