26 March 2013


Today we're having a chat with Chelsea from Notional Notions.



Tell us a bit about who you are. I'm originally from California but I studied art in Texas and then moved to Italy for two years. I love to travel and have a hard time staying in one place or sticking to a singular medium. But overall, I'm a pretty easy going lady.


Tell us about your craft and how you got started. I've been drawing for as long as I can remember but I really got adventurous with my craft in college. That's where I fell in love with bookmaking and watercolor illustration. But I've tried everything from Intaglio printmaking and welding to tattooing and children's book illustration. I like being a Jane of all trades, master of none. 



Where do you get your inspiration from? Everywhere, and that's no exaggeration. My art space, "the bubble," is typically a gigantic mess because I've gathered so many postcards/books/photos and ideas from places I've traveled to (and hoping to travel to one day!). 


Who is your favourite artist/creative person? Hard to pick just one, it usually changes depending upon what I'm working on. A couple I've been loving lately are Janice MacLeod's travel letters/illustrations, Stephanie Brown's tattoo work and designs, and the lettering work of Jessica Hische


What do you love most about what you do? I love getting my hands dirty, this is likely why I struggle with the digital art realm so much! My art bubble may be messy but that usually means I'm happy and creating. 


What do you do when you're not creating? For my 'real grown-up job,' I teach art lessons. Which is a pretty awesome alternative to not making my own work; getting to hang out with kiddos and essentially just play and watch them create. It can be pretty amazing watching what they come up with! 



Thanks for sharing with us today, Chelsea!
Trees Hide

1 comment:

  1. Eep! Crazy seeing myself on someone else's blog! Thanks for the interview! I have loved sponsoring you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this post. I really enjoy reading feedback and comments from my readers!